Today, the viral video is perhaps the form of online entertainment with the greatest global reach. The most popular viral videos are viewed by hundreds of millions from all over the world. With over 100 hours of video uploaded to Youtube every day, the competition for this new type of fame is fierce, but viral stars can come from any background and can literally be made overnight, so everyone – including you – has the potential to become a viral smash hit.
Film a prank or practical joke. No matter where you come from, what language you speak, or how you were raised, there is a good chance that you will chuckle at a video of someone in a scary mask popping out of a trashcan and scaring his friend. Pranks and practical jokes (especially ones that involve physical humor) have a universal quality because almost anyone anywhere can enjoy them. On top of this, they are very easy to shoot – a simple cell phone camera will usually do the job.
- Examples: “Extremely Scary Ghost Elevator Prank in Brazil,” “Drive Thru Invisible Driver Prank.”
- Viral Tip: use common sense and stay safe when you are shooting your prank. Do not try to shoot anything that could conceivably leave anyone hurt or in jail.
Record a monologue
Simple monologues are some of the easiest viral videos to shoot – all you need is the camera in your computer or laptop and a funny idea to get you started. Most of the most popular viral monologues are funny, sometimes accidentally, so stay away from serious speeches and political diatribes for the best chance of going viral.
- Examples: “Leave Britney Alone”
- Viral Tip: the biggest difficulty with monologue videos is that there is not much for your audience to look at besides your face and whatever is right behind you. This means you will have to be creative to keep your viewers’ attention – use humor or an emotional performance to separate yourself from the pack.
Make a lip-sync video
In the age of the viral video, you do not necessarily have to be able to sing like Whitney Houston to become a music sensation. Giving a funny lip sync performance over a catchy song is an easy way to get your video noticed online. If your performance is ridiculously over-the-top, all the better for you.
- Examples: “Numa Numa Song,” countless “Let It Go” lip syncs.
- Viral Tip: remember that you do not have to lip sync for the entire song – a thirty-second lip sync of the funniest part of the song can be hilarious, but a four-minute video of the entire thing can be a little much.
- Capture an adorable family moment
Record something truly adorable (like, for instance, a relative’s enthusiastic welcome home after serving a tour of duty abroad) and you will score big with grandmothers everywhere.
- Examples: “Charlie Bit My Finger,” “David After Dentist,” etc.
- Viral Tip: if you have young children in your family, you may be sitting on a comedy goldmine. Kids often are not afraid to act silly, stupid, cute, and earnest the way that adults can be, so keep your camera rolling on any young relatives.